ACTA is an industry led, non-profit organization that advocates through one strong voice on behalf of members with governments, regulatory agencies, and travel suppliers in the best interests of the retail travel sector and consumers who benefit from the professional services provided by our Members.
You Can Help Our Advocacy Efforts
The outcomes we are trying to achieve through our lobby initiatives, in particular our lobby campaign for changes to the Ontario Travel Industry Act and Ontario Travel Industry Compensation Fund, will help ACTA Member agencies save thousands and tens of thousands of dollars, annually. This major lobby initiative does not come without a cost to the Association. While membership dollars continue to fund Advocacy issues such as agency-airline matters through IATA, federal matters such as the Air Passenger Protection Regulations, and a number of other regulatory regimes for insurance or licensing, this particular initiative will require additional financial support from Ontario Travel Agencies. Soon, we may need to launch a similar campaign in Alberta with respect to the challenges independent travel agents face with selling travel health insurance and in Quebec, travel agencies are seeking relief from the long standing requirement of having to maintain a bond to adhere to provincial regulations. We need your help!
ACTA welcomes all donations. Simply:
- ONLINE Click on the DONATE button (powered by GiveCloud) to contribute to the ACTA’s advocacy initiatives.
- PHONE Heather Craig-Peddie, Vice President, Advocacy and Member Relations at 905-282-9294 x122 or 1-888-257-2282, with a credit card #, or
- MAIL a cheque or money order payable to ACTA. Please indicate payment is to the “Advocacy Campaign.”
For 2019, five priority issues were identified by Members. We have been progressing these issues and reporting on them quarterly to the membership.
Priority Issues Identified by Members
- IATA: Debit memos, NewGen ISS, Transparency In Payments, Local Financial Criteria, PCI Compliance, and the Passenger Agency Programme
- Provincial Regulators: ON / TICO, QC / OPC and BC / Consumer Protection BC
- Federal: Transport Canada and the Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) – Air Passenger Protection Regulations and Basic Fare Requirements
- Insurance Regulators: Alberta Insurance Council and the Insurance Council of Saskatchewan
- Supplier Issues: Friends and Family Discounting, NCFs and Costco
The impact from our results until September 30, 2019:
- Worked with IATA and Airlines to improve the ADM process and reduce the volume overall. Progress made. Net Remit 5 (a technical solution for commission calculation) launched in all global BSP’s. First Canadian ADM Workshop announced for Oct. 1, 2019.
- Addressed Member concerns directly with the Ontario government, specifically on the unfairness of the Compensation Fund. Awareness growing. Minister of Government and Consumer Services contacted ACTA to meet and discuss regulatory burdens.
- Lobbied IATA to assist agency community meet a new APPR requirement, advising consumers of an airlines’ conditions of carriage. IATA is considering our request, which will save Members time and resources. Provided continual updates to Members on travel agency responsibilities and requirements under APPR.
- Addressed Member concerns with the Alberta government with more meetings scheduled in September, specifically on the regulatory burden of selling travel health insurance in AB.
- Established ACTA National Supplier Issues Committee to review priority concerns for Members. First meeting scheduled for September. The Committee will collaborate on ways to work with travel service suppliers to ensure a strong, equitable relationship between them and travel professionals.